Amelia Island: Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off Features BBQ & Bands at the Beach.
AMELIA ISLAND, FL — The Amelia Island Convention & Visitors Bureau (AICVB) has announced the concert lineup for the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off, August 24-25, 2012. BBQ lovers attending the two-day, family-friendly event can enjoy the free musical entertainment at the seaside, while sampling the tasty creations of some of the top competitors in the country.
The Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off is held oceanfront at Fernandina’s Main Beach Park on Amelia Island, FL and opens at 3 p.m. on August 24, and 10 a.m. on August 25. The cook-off will feature more than 60 professional and backyard (amateur) teams. Each team will prepare a variety of barbeque entrees, as they compete for more than $20,000 in prize money and trophies. Visitors will have the opportunity to purchase food and drink from various vendors throughout the day. The BBQ cook-off is sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. (See list further below of Amelia Island’s hotels and inns offering special packages for this event.)
ENJOY FREE OCEANFRONT CONCERTS: SIX BANDS TO PLAY AT BEACH
At 5:30 p.m. on Friday, August 24, Jimmy Parrish & The Ocean Waves Band will start things off, followed by Orlando-based ’80s and ’90s rock cover band Rockit Fly. The live music begins at 1 p.m. on Saturday, August 25, with the Beech Street Blues Band; The Honey Badgers featuring soft rock and country; and a colorful blend of tropical, pop and country sounds from Sean McCarthy & the Fishin’ Musicians. At 7 p.m., headliner Little River Band will take the stage, performing many of their 13 American Top 40 hits, including “Reminiscing,” “Lady,” “Lonesome Loser,” and “Take It Easy on Me.”
NEW THIS YEAR FOR THIRD ANNUAL COOK-OFF EVENT
The VIP Pig Pub is a new addition to the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-Off and will feature table and bar seating as well as fans, TVs with satellite, and plenty of cold beverages and shade – all with a great view of the stage! There is a $5 cover charge to enter the VIP Pig Pub, with access all day the day of purchase. Must be 21 years of age or older to enter VIP Pig Pub with valid ID.
For more information about the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off, to register to participate or for schedule details, visit www.gstailgatecookoff.com. The following Amelia Island hotels and inns are offering discounts** for the cook-off event:
– Residence Inn, Amelia Island, the official host hotel of the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off, offers rates starting at $109 per night, which includes free breakfast, evening social, and shuttle service to the cook-off. Mention Tailgate Cook-off to get the rate.
– Addison on Amelia offers a free night on reservations of four nights or more during cook-off.
– Amelia Island Hampton Inn at the Beach is offering a $99 rate for a double room, plus tax, during the cook-off.
– Amelia Hotel at the Beach is offering standard rooms for $79 per night. The rate is only available through phone reservations and includes parking, daily breakfast, afternoon cookie service and the new “Lobby Lounge.” Mention rate code COOK when booking.
– Beachside Motel will offer a third night free. For visitors who can only stay for two nights, the property is offering a 20 percent discount. One discount per room. Offers are valid August 22-27. Must call (877) 261-4236 to receive discount.
– Elizabeth Pointe Lodge offers a Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off Package starting at $578. The package includes a king bed, sunset guest room for two nights, bike rental for two, hors d’oeuvres reception each evening, complete breakfast each morning, newspaper, Wi-Fi, beach equipment and parking.
– Fairbanks House is offering a bottle of Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce and a bag of Southern Slush Mix to guests staying three or more nights during Cook-off. Guests will also be treated to gourmet breakfasts and evening social hours. Offer is available for new bookings only, and one offer per room. Mention code STC12 when making reservations.
**Prices do not include tax and are based on availability. Contact each hotel for reservations and restrictions.
Sponsors for the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off include Arlington Toyota, Tailgater Monthly magazine, and Residence Inn of Amelia Island.
Amelia Island Living & Travel eMagazine shares lifestyle and travel news and lots of photos. Topics include tourist attractions, annual festivals, Florida gardening, coastal nature, community issues and real estate. eMail local press releases for publishing consideration to the editor at: contact@AmeliaIslandLiving.com.