— Steve’s Marketplace —
EDITOR’S NOTE: Contributing columnist, Steve Nicklas, expresses his views and insight on various topics in Marketplace column.
It’s pretty obvious that Amelia Island is an affluent place.
Million-dollar houses are commonplace. Topnotch resorts attract tourists from the world over. And celebrities are buying properties here.
But how does Amelia Island stack up against its neighbors? Pretty decently, as evidenced by a report published in the Jacksonville Business Journal.
Of the 25 richest zip codes in North Florida, Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island (as determined by the 32034 area code) ranked No. 7– with an average household income of $80,000 and net worth of $700,000.
Obviously, North Florida covers a lot of territory. And bunches of wealthy areas, including the Jacksonville Beaches, Fleming Island and affluent enclaves like Ortega and Riverside in Jacksonville.
Some places are dominated by retirees (much like Amelia Island), so the income levels are somewhat lower, but net worths are higher. And some places like Ponte Vedra Beach have both — sky-high incomes and net worths.
Nassau County is not just represented by Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island. Tiny Bryceville on the west side of the county also made the list at an impressive spot — No. 14. Bryceville boasts a household income of $67,000 and net worth of $500,00. And who thought the west side was sleepy?
Here are the rankings by area, household income and networth. Some places (like Jacksonville) are subdivided by area codes to differentiate them.
- No. 1: Ponte Vedra Beach, income $123,000 and net worth $1.1 million
- No. 2: Fleming Island, income $104,000 and net worth $950,000
- No. 3: St. Johns (area code 32259), income $103,000 and net worth $949,000
- No. 4: Ponte Vedra, income $114,000 and net worth $730,000
- No. 5: Jacksonville (area code 32223), income $92,000 and net worth $920,000
- No. 6: Jacksonville (area code 32258), income $92,000 and net worth $660,000
- No. 7: Fernandina Beach
- No. 8: Jacksonville (area code 32224), income $86,000 and net worth $530,000
- No. 9: St. Augustine (32080 area code), income $77,000 and net worth $568,000
- No. 10: Jacksonville (32225 area code), income $76,000 and net worth $560,000
- No. 11: Jacksonville (32256 area code), income $88,000 and net worth $480,000
- No. 12: Orange Park (32073 area code), income $72,000 and net worth $520,000
- No. 13: Neptune Beach, income $75,000 and net worth $475,000
- No. 14: Bryceville (32009 area code), income $67,000 and net worth $500,000
- No. 15: Jacksonville (32226 area code), income $70,000 and net worth $460,000
- No. 16: Jacksonville (32217 area code), income $66,000 and net worth $490,000
- No. 17: Jacksonville (32257 area code), income $68,000 and net worth $450,000
- No. 18: Jacksonville Beach, income $70,000 and net worth $415,000
- No. 19: Orange Park (32065 area code), income $68,000 and net worth $420,000
- No. 20: Palm Coast, income $59,000 and net worth $530,000
- No. 21: Atlantic Beach, income $66,000 and net worth $420,000
- No. 22: St. Augustine (32092 area code), $67,000 income and $390,000 net worth
- No. 23: Middleburg, $64,000 income and $400,000 net worth
- No. 24: Green Cove Springs, $55,000 income and $500,000 net worth
- No. 25: Flagler Beach, $55,000 income and $500,000 net worth
Throughout the U.S., the average household income is just over $50,000, but net worth is harder to determine. This is especially true following the economic meltdown that occurred in 2008 and 2009, when nearly all assets plummeted in value.
Put it this way. The average net worth was $120,000 in 2007, but it dropped precipitously in the financial collapse. Whatever way you want to determine it now, it is dwarfed the wealthiest areas in North Florida.